Blade's Plug-Ins Discussion :: View topic - Check conditiond before running event.
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Guest access has been disabled! Log in or register to access the full features of the message board.
Blade's Plug-Ins Discussion Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsChatLog in
Check conditiond before running event.

Blade's Plug-Ins Discussion Forum Index » BLAlarm Plug-In View previous topic
View next topic
Check conditiond before running event.
StevenE
Board Noob
Board Noob

Member # 266

Post: #1   Post Check conditiond before running event. Reply with quote
When the alarm is triggered would it be possible to check event conditions before executing the event ?

For intance, sometimes I am not home when the alarms are triggered and HS knows my car isn't home. So the wife would like not to be awaken by my alarms since I am not home.

I could also then set it up so all alarms would not be triggered if it is a holiday or etc.

Thanks
Steven.
Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
Nightwalker
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Member # 15

Post: #2   Post Re: Check conditiond before running event. Reply with quote
StevenE wrote:
When the alarm is triggered would it be possible to check event conditions before executing the event ?

For intance, sometimes I am not home when the alarms are triggered and HS knows my car isn't home. So the wife would like not to be awaken by my alarms since I am not home.

I could also then set it up so all alarms would not be triggered if it is a holiday or etc.

Thanks
Steven.

I do something similar with this. Since BLAlarm just runs whatever event you tell it to, directly.

I use two events and a virtual device. BLAlarm runs the alarm event, all that event does is turn on a virtual device. That device being turned on is what triggers the actual alarm event. Doing it this way I can add conditions to the alarm event being run.

BLreminders integrates really well with BLAlarm to stop all holiday alarms on days we're all off, or if you had a holiday virtual device you could add that to the conditions in the above event.
Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
StevenE
Board Noob
Board Noob

Member # 266

That is the way I have it setup now, but it is starting to get a little messy with all the alarms and it is not easy for the wife to select a new event for the alarm.

I have my kids alarms, my wifes alarms, my alarms each having weekend, weekday, early or late days.
It seems each one has a different event to remind us of activities, meetings and etc.

Then there are the multitude of days off my kids have from school that of course I have to work Sad.

I figured if blalarm could run the event as manual with conditions it would make it much easier.

StevenE
Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Nightwalker
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Member # 15

It can get complicated but you can simplify a bit. If you setup your HomeSeer groups for each person that can be setup in BLAlarm to only show them the events they can choose. It really cuts down on the number of events they have to pick from. Alternately you can just setup a button for them to adjust the alarm. I do it through HomeSeer Touch but I used to do it from a standard web page. It makes it easier for everyone when they just have to push a button on their way to bed. Holidays that everyone is off for are taken care of via BLReminders.

alarms.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.64 KB
 Viewed:  6875 Time(s)

alarms.JPG

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:53 am View user's profile Send private message
StevenE
Board Noob
Board Noob

Member # 266

I have simplified as much as I reasonably could.

I guess the issue is we have so many events to choose from....

I have a huge list of events setup each event has actions to remind us why we are getting up early,normal, late that day.
Turn on the music for the specified person in a specified room, then a few seconds later announce the reason for the alarm and the time.
Announements like You have to leave early today for band practice, Music lessons today, today is a normal school day. Meeting at the main office today, meeting in office1, car appointment this morning and etc.

And the list goes ooooooonnnnnn, there are so many...

I don't think I could get away with dumbing down the morning alarms....

Steven
Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:29 am View user's profile Send private message
Nightwalker
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Member # 15

You realize that you can limit what each user sees in the user config in BLAlarm? Put only alarms that can be chosen into one group or a group for each user and then in the BLAlarm user config only allow access to that one group. That should at least make the choice easier for everyone.
Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 am View user's profile Send private message
StevenE
Board Noob
Board Noob

Member # 266

The events are grouped, the problem is in HS for every event I have to create a second event so I can use Trigger manual with conditions.

So in HS my 20+ events turn into 40+ and now it's just getting to be a mess.

Having the ability from BLAlarm to trigger a event and choose to check conditions sounded like a great idea. But since no one else has chimed in maybe I am the only one.

StevenE
Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Nightwalker
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Member # 15

StevenE wrote:
The events are grouped, the problem is in HS for every event I have to create a second event so I can use Trigger manual with conditions.

So in HS my 20+ events turn into 40+ and now it's just getting to be a mess.

Having the ability from BLAlarm to trigger a event and choose to check conditions sounded like a great idea. But since no one else has chimed in maybe I am the only one.

StevenE

It's a good thing I didn't want to be a teacher, I so suck at it. Let me try again and please excuse my shortcomings in this area.

I understand it gets to be a lot for a person looking to just set their alarm. Lets assume you have 10 alarms setup. plus another 10 so that you can get things to be conditional, plus the other 20 or so that you probably use for alarm functions. Don't put them all in the same group. I have 4 different event groups setup for alarms.

1. the alarm event itself.
2. the alarm event that the user will run for their alarm. This is the only group the user should see.
3. a group I called working files. (a hodge podge of background events that alarms use).
4. speaking events, just events that speak something during the alarms.

The only event group the user sees is group 2, just the alarms that they would pick from. After you've set it up so just the alarm events themselves are setup in their own event group you can set BLAlarm to only show users that one group.

In BLAlarm when you're looking at the "maintain users" screen you'll see an edit button on the left. going in there shows you every event group you have in HomeSeer. You just want to click and highlight the one group that has "just the alarms" for the user. That way they will only see the alarms they can choose, as opposed to everything else.

Hopefully I did better this time, if not let me know and I'll try again. Smile
Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
StevenE
Board Noob
Board Noob

Member # 266

You did a perfect explanation the first time, I have most of the main events in 1 group, the conditional trigger events in a couple of groups for the users.
I just meant in HS instead of having just 20 events I end up with 30+ events by adding all the conditional events. I guess it's just a personal thing but it bugs me to see all those events there just to call other events. Smile

Not to mention I have the habit of not remembering why I set it up that way 6 months down the road. Notes help if I remember to write them....

StevenE
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:05 am View user's profile Send private message
Nightwalker
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Member # 15

StevenE wrote:
You did a perfect explanation the first time, I have most of the main events in 1 group, the conditional trigger events in a couple of groups for the users.
I just meant in HS instead of having just 20 events I end up with 30+ events by adding all the conditional events. I guess it's just a personal thing but it bugs me to see all those events there just to call other events. Smile

Not to mention I have the habit of not remembering why I set it up that way 6 months down the road. Notes help if I remember to write them....

StevenE

Ah, I feel much better now. Smile

It's not that I don't agree with you and maybe Blade can comment on it should he see this but, I don't know how he would trigger a HomeSeer event like he does now, except allow conditions. He would have to write another whole set of conditions. that are already written into HomeSeer, I think.

BTW I also make copious use of the note field, they last far longer than my memory does. Smile
Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:24 am View user's profile Send private message
   Blade's Plug-Ins Discussion Forum Index » BLAlarm Plug-In All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: